The FTC "Funeral Rule"
- Funeral directors must provide an itemized price list when asked for one (either in person or over the phone)
- Funeral providers must show you all descriptions of available caskets and outer burial containers before showing you these products
- You have the right to purchase only selected or individual funeral services and products (with a few exceptions)
- The items that are required by law must be disclosed on the price list along with a reference to the specific law
- If the funeral home offers cremation, they must offer alternative containers
- If you purchase a casket elsewhere, the funeral provider may not charge a fee or refuse to handle the casket